Friday, February 24, 2017

Sirena - painting process

This artwork began as a "commission" for my 3 year old niece.  However, I don't think it turned out pink and sparkly enough for her so she will have to wait for me to paint her something more suitable! Bless x

My niece wanted purple hair and a pink tail...however I wanted muted colours...

I use pearlescent paint on the tail.  I think it turned out beautifully.

Little sea encrusted details...

Almost done...paying a lot of attention to light and shade...

In the end I added a tall ship, shells and a crab. 
I am a Cancerian and this is very much a Cancer artwork
(would be even more so if the sun was a moon!)



So there you have it, I still haven't mastered kids art yet but I will get there.  I was skeptical about painting a mermaid because it seemed too out of the ordinary for me, however I love the result and I will be embracing my inner child more in the future.

x Sarah

PS. You will notice the eyes on my girls are a lot bigger than my previous work (pre-2004).  I was a bit upset about this but things can't stay the same, we move on and change and so do our styles.  I want to keep moving forward and I'm happy with how things are going. I love big eyes.  I am a happier person now and I want my artworks to reflect this.

No comments:

Post a Comment