Wednesday, November 30, 2016

A Guide to Making Polymer Clay Beaded Jewellery


I will start this guide with a disclaimer - I am no means an expert on making polymer clay jewellery!  It was only "the other day" that I decided to try this material out for the very first time.  The pictures I am posting are from my very first attempt at making polymer clay necklaces.



I loved the experience and am now completely addicted to making polymer clay beads {with glitter - LOTS of glitter!}.



First of all, watch this awesome video by Ashley Picanco here!  Ashley makes this somewhat confusing medium very very easy to use.  See her make a polymer clay bracelet from scratch.

Next, assemble your polymer clay. Cut into chunks of different sizes depending on how big you want your beads.  Roll into balls.  Combine two or more colours to make multicoloured clay.



Next, with the end of a small paintbrush, poke holes in each of the balls.  I chose to do this the same was Ashley does in her video but if you want smaller holes, use a needle {as seen in the top left hand corner of the image above - obtained from craft stores}. Alternatively, you can use a toothpick.


Now it's time to bake! Bake your beads according to the manufacturer's instructions on your polymer clay packet. 


Finally, assemble your baked and cooled beads ready for stringing!  Use whatever chain or cord you like. If you have chosen to use the paintbrush to make your bead hole, most necklaces will fit through the holes.

VOILA!
Wear or sell your beautiful bead bracelet or necklace.

PS. Ashley recommends sanding the beads which I did not do because it changed the colour of the beads. Your choice!
PPS. Watch Ashley's video on how to create glitter beads!


x Sarah

You can buy my polymer clay jewellery in my ETSY store here.

No comments:

Post a Comment